Guess what??…I’m finally on spring break! I know it’s been a while since my last post, but it was for good reason. I’ve been very busy lately studying for my finals, finishing up my quarter successfully, and taking care of my new baby furball (including potty training- so if any of you have any tips please let me know!) :)
But now it’s time for a post, that I’ve actually been meaning to write for a while now.
Because busy girls like us often get into a jam where we are out and about, or on the run and don’t have enough time to make a healthy meal or think of a healthy snack to grab, protein bars present a healthy option- IF they are chosen correctly.
There are many types of protein bars out there, but what really determines if one is a healthy option or just a glorified candy bar? Yup, that’s right, many bars that we have thought of to be “healthy” are nothing more than just a candy bar in disguise. Although these bars claim to be healthy by adding vitamins and protein, you’re also getting just as much sugar as you would from eating a candy bar!
So here are some tips for choosing the best bar:
1) At least around 10 grams of protein.
2) Less than 10 grams of sugar. (Stick to natural forms of sugar. Natural sugar found in fruits, whole grains, vegetables, beans, and nuts are referred to as simple sugars. Simple sugars are good sugars because they come with added vitamins, fiber, minerals, and good additions to your diet. Avoid bad sugars, which is anything added during processing, cooking, or at the table. Bad sugars do not come with any good additions to your diet. And if you have problems digesting sugar alcohols (more bad sugars), look out for the common ones listed below.)
Here are some key words to look out for: Erythritol, Maltitol, Xylitol, Sorbitol
3) Less than 10 grams of fat- These should come from heart healthy fats, with absolutely NO TRANS FAT!
4) At least some fiber (3 or 4 grams is good).
5) Complex carbs that are mostly whole grain.
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY: Simple is best! Stick to an ingredient list to where you would be able to find almost all of the ingredients in your own kitchen.
These have been my favorite right now:
Cranberry White Chocolate Santa Barbara Bars
KIND bars and Quest Bars are also some that I enjoy as well.
What are your favorite protein/ energy bars??